Saturday, November 7, 2009

I am not a mean wife

We have a pool table...and I want to sell it.

Now before you go on thinking that I am a terrible, mean wife, forcing my husband to sell his "beloved" pool table, let me set the record straight. I am not forcing my husband to get rid of it. I simply have expressed my latest thoughts and ideas and have let him "ponder" the possibility. I would also like to make it clear that our pool table never hardly ever gets used and therefore sits in a room of our home, making that room a nice 200 sq. foot hallway. Bryce even made the comment a couple of weeks ago that in our next home (in years to come) he doesn't even know if he wants a pool table.

So now that I've cleared things up for you, let me share my idea and where it came from. Essentially, there are four problems that need to be solved, as far as our home is concerned:

1. With another baby on the way and a toddler with many toys, extra space is seeming necessary.

2. With a laptop I use quite frequently for projects, a child that spends most of his time downstairs, and the DVR hooked up to the downstairs tv, my "workstation" has become our dining room or living room, creating a mess for much of the week. (And this picture is actually at an extremely clean moment.)


3. Our dining room table is a little too big for the current dining room, making it difficult to maneuver around or expand for family functions. In addition, the dining room table and kitchen table are right next to each other, which I think is a little weird.

4. The pool table hardly ever gets used. It's sits in this nice 200 sq. foot room, taking up space that could be used for other things...

So, you ready to hear my idea? In my opinion, it solves all of the problems listed...

I want to get rid of the pool table and move the dining room table into the pool room. Basically, what would happen is we would sell the pool table and put the dining room table on one side of the current pool room, with plenty of space to get around it or expand it. On the other side, we could put a chair, or a piano, or a console/buffet...you get the idea. We have plenty of space to do that, I think it would be awesome.

Then...in the old dining room, we would create a "den," if you will. This would become a space that would have a small desk for my laptop and a "catch-all" for mail and paperwork, etc., alleviating the build-up that happens in the kitchen. We may put the futon in that room as well, and a bookshelf and small table for our boys to use. This would also make a clearer walkway between the family room and kitchen.

Upstairs in the office, where the futon was, we would be able to create more space for guests. The airbed could go in there for now, until we can maybe get a new bed and mattress. That way, Trevin can keep his new bedroom when guests come to stay.

So that's my major idea. It all makes sense to me. I am SO excited about it. What's even more exciting, is that Bryce is actually on board! See? I told you I am not a mean wife. I know that selling the pool table is not his first choice, but if he really didn't think it was a good idea, he would not have agreed to it, I promise. He has said that he will only sell the pool table for a certain amount, so that's the only deal-breaker.

Anyone want a pool table? :)

5 comments:

Lee Ann said...

After being at your home....and seeing it in person.....I think it's a fabulous idea! A den right next to the kitchen is great! I love having the kids right next to me when I'm trying to get things done. Maybe I should refrase that. They will be right next to me, so you might as well create the space.

And if we hadn't GIVEN away our last pool table, we might be in the market. Oh wait....we don't have anyplace for one :) I hope it sells!

Jessica LaTour said...

That sounds awesome! I love finding new & better uses for space. And I think your plan will be perfect! Here's hoping the pool table sells! ;-)

Christa said...

Love it! Put an advertisement in a local college newspaper....there are always bachelor boys looking for toys. :-)

Jenni said...

It's a nice pool table, I would make an offer if I didn't live in San Diego. :)

I know what you mean about the dining table being a workspace. We've had that problem and are finally going to rectify it when we move in February.

Amy said...

I love your idea! So glad Bryce is on board! We've always had good luck with Craigslist!