Thursday, January 14, 2010

His world is about to be rocked

...and he knows it!

I think that he is sensing that something big is about to happen. It's amazing how toddlers can sense that at such a young age.

It's either that, or we have reached an entirely new phase of his development. In the last few days, Trevin has stopped entertaining himself. He refuses to play if one of us is not in the room. If I am cleaning up after breakfast, he is at my legs, clawing, pulling, and crying (loudly, I might add). If he can get a hold of my hand, he takes it and pulls me into the pool room with all of his toys, sets me right down where he wants me, and hands me the toy he wants me to play with. If I just sit on the floor and watch him, he is just fine. The minute I get up to go do something, he is chasing after me, wailing once again. This could be very difficult once we've got a newborn around!

The dilemma I'm having is that I've already done my nesting. I nested in a MAJOR way about two weeks ago, spending every available minute preparing our home for the newest arrival. Now that I'm "ready," I have nearly all the time in the world to play with T. Yesterday, in fact, we sat and played for over 2 hours and had a great time. But I fear that I'm feeding the monster now. What's going to happen when I can't do that anymore? How is he going to cope with a nursing baby and a mom that needs to attend to another little one? I'm worried.

In addition to being unable to entertain himself, Trevin is also starting to act out. He has had episodes in the past where he will throw a mini-fit and swing his arms like he is going to hit me, but they have been short-lived and fairly isolated incidents. In the last few days though, he has been swinging at me like crazy, pouting, and throwing some major fits. This has resulted in several swats and stern warnings from me throughout the day. I'm growing weary and am not quite sure how to handle our precious little gem turned rascal.

Prayer for wisdom would be much appreciated...and if you've been through this before, any tips?

3 comments:

Lori said...

Oh boy. Do you ever have a little boy who knows his 2nd birthday is not so far off. Welcome to the terrible almost two's. :-)

You'll survive.

Jessica LaTour said...

I remember the day we brought Jack home from the hospital. It was the longest we'd ever been away from Noah, like 3 days. We had our happy "We're home!" time, but once I settled down to nurse the baby, big brother was climbing all over the two of us & I just got so annoyed & frustrated. Andrew said, "He just wants to be with you."

It hit me like a brick wall. Your boys are going to want & need your time & attention. And although it might be a tough transition at first, I know you guys will find the right groove for your precious, growing family. Love you, Audrey.

P.S. Sorry about the novel.

Amy said...

How is Trevin now that Tyson is here, Audrey? I am just getting caught up on my blog reading and this post sure brought back memories for me! Ryan (our first born) went through this phase too. It's sooo frustrating, I know. I can remember cooking dinner and Ryan would just scream for me from the living room. Eventually he got over this, I don't remember doing anything to stop it. Just some wise words from my friend and neighbor as we walked the neighborhood one day because I was about to lose it. She simply said that this won't last forever and really it took those words for me to realize that yes, he will grow out of this phase and I will survive. Once Casey came along, I admit, it is difficult to balance time with both of them. I read a good little tip in a magazine once: while nursing your newborn, sit your toddler beside you and have a paper sack with objects in it. Have him put his hand in the bag and guess what the different objects are without looking at them, only feeling them. I did this a couple times and it was a nice distraction.

Anyway, I will be praying for you, my friend!