Bryce and I started watching "How I Met Your Mother" on DVD about a year ago. We've caught up to the 3rd season and just finished an episode called "Spoiler Alert." In this episode, the five friends were "enlightened" about one another's flaws that they had never noticed before, thus the "spoiler alert." For example, Lily is a loud chewer and Marshall, her husband, never noticed until his friend, Ted, pointed it out. Ted corrects everyone and no one noticed until Robin pointed it out. Well, Marshall's "flaw" (though call it what you will) is that he sings a commentary of nearly everything he does. The episode shows flashbacks of him singing about paying the bills, doing the laundry, etc. To an average person, this episode might not be so hilarious, but I found it thoroughly entertaining. Let me tell you why...
I grew up in a household of singers...no, not professional singers (though in the extended family we do have a few and my brother is aspiring to be one - go Mike!), but pure silly singers. We'd sing about everything! We'd even throw in some nonsense words or sound effects for added entertainment. I definitely did (and do) my fair share of silly singing. Those who know me well, and I mean REALLY well, have probably heard my silly singing from time to time. It's something I tend to reserve for the privacy of my own home or my parents' home.
Watching that episode of "How I Met Your Mother" brought back fond memories and a longing for time with my singing fam. I love how my sisters and brother can come up with songs for just about everything, as overwhelming as it can be at times :). My mom and dad do their fair share, too. What I love about silly singing is the joy in it. Can you honestly make up a silly song when you're angry or upset? I don't think so. I also love that I am part of such a fun family that has few inhibitions and knows how to have fun together.
Keep singing, family!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I LOVE that show!! I too, am a singer. Cory thinks I'm a dork and I don't care... what I love? That my kids do it too! Just wait till Trevin starts belting out. It will put the biggest smile on your face!
i fully agree - life is best lived by the accompaniment of silly, impromptu songs! and also lines from actual songs, too, when they best fit the circumstances.
Wow, Audrey, I can't picture you "silly singing"! You seem like such a quiet & reserved person! Please share a silly song with me someday:)
Oh I love that! me and Nicole actually noticed that our ENTIRE family dances or sings when they enter the kitchen.... it is true about 75% of the time..... so we decided Pinning means "one who sings and dances in kitchens"
Post a Comment